↩ Accueil

Vue lecture

Club León, Pachuca file v Fifa to overturn León’s Club World Cup ouster

  • Club León was disqualified by Fifa in March
  • Arguments set to take place on week of 5 May

Sport’s highest court said Friday it will hold fast-track appeals next month as Mexican soccer club León tries to overturn a Fifa decision to expel it from the Club World Cup in the United States.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) said León and its sibling club Pachuca have separately filed appeals against a Fifa ruling last month that barred León from the Club World Cup because the clubs have the same owner.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Brennan Asplen/Getty Images

© Photograph: Brennan Asplen/Getty Images

  •  

US and UK World Cup bid success boosts hosts but does little for global game | Tom Garry

Tournaments in 2031 and 2035 are likely to be great events but will be hosted by those who need them the least

There is an abundance of reasons why staging the 2031 and 2035 Women’s World Cups in the United States and UK respectively offers cause for delight. The countries have well-established and emotionally invested fanbases, a genuine buy-in to the women’s game and huge, modern stadiums to choose from. These two summer parties will surely eclipse anything women’s sport has seen and the countries, having invested in the women’s game more than any others in modern times, have frankly earned this.

Yet the news that the US and UK are bidding unopposed to host these tournaments is also sad for the women’s game from a global perspective. The US’s NWSL and England’s Women’s Super League are the two most-watched women’s leagues in the world with the largest average attendances and the most professional facilities for players. Therefore, while many will argue that means they deserve the Women’s World Cup the most, they are also the countries who need the tournament the least.

Continue reading...

© Composite: Getty Images

© Composite: Getty Images

  •  

‘Not a good idea’: Uefa president Ceferin hits out at 64-team World Cup proposal

  • Fifa considering one-off expanded tournament in 2030
  • Ceferin: ‘We didn’t know anything before the Fifa council’

The Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, has hit out at a proposal to expand the 2030 men’s World Cup to 64 teams, calling the concept a “bad idea” and appearing to criticise Fifa for not advising his organisation of the suggestion in advance.

Fifa confirmed last month that it would consider adopting the sprawling new format as a one-off in 2030 to celebrate the tournament’s centenary, after the idea was raised at a meeting of its council by the Uruguayan football association president, Ignacio Alonso.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian

© Photograph: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian

  •  

UK poised to host 2035 Women’s World Cup and US lands 2031 tournament

  • Fifa president Infantino says UK is the ‘one valid bid’
  • US may host in 2031 alongside other Concacaf nations

The United Kingdom appears certain to host the 2035 Women’s World Cup after Gianni Infantino, the Fifa president, announced it is the sole bidder for the tournament.

Infantino confirmed in an address to Uefa’s annual congress in Belgrade that the UK had a clear path to staging the event. He also named the USA, probably alongside other Concacaf members, as the only candidate for the 2031 edition. Fifa intends to expand the Women’s World Cup to 48 teams, mirroring the new look of the men’s competition, from 2031. Concacaf covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Maddie Meyer/FIFA/Getty Images

© Photograph: Maddie Meyer/FIFA/Getty Images

  •