↩ Accueil

Vue normale

index.feed.received.before_yesterday

Zambia remove US-based players due to Trump immigration policy fears

2 avril 2025 à 22:33
  • Orlando Pride’s Barbra Banda among removals
  • Immigration crackdowns led to decision

The Zambia women’s national team have decided to remove their four US-based players from their squad for upcoming games due to concerns about the Trump administration’s immigration policy, the country’s football federation announced on Wednesday.

The policies have created significant uncertainty for foreigners looking to leave or re-enter the United States after time abroad. In March, a French scientist was detained and his phone was searched upon arriving in Houston for a conference.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Lev Radin/REX/Shutterstock

© Photograph: Lev Radin/REX/Shutterstock

Pérez in talks with teams about F1 return as Lawson reflects on demotion

  • Former Red Bull driver was replaced two years early
  • New Zealander says he didn’t see own demotion coming

The former Red Bull driver Sergio Pérez says he is in talks with Formula One teams about a return to the grid after having his contract ended two years early. The 35-year-old Mexican, who won six races during his 14 years in F1, was replaced at Red Bull this season by Liam Lawson, who also struggled and was quickly demoted after two races. “Especially last year, I didn’t get to show what I’m able to do as a driver,” Pérez told the F1 website. “Now, all of a sudden, people realise how difficult the car is to drive.”

Pérez said he had been “approached by a few teams since Abu Dhabi”, a reference to his final race last December as teammate to the eventual champion, Max Verstappen. “There are a few very interesting projects out there. It’s good to be in this position knowing that people are keen on you as a drive,” he said. “People have short memories in F1. People realise that my position was not the easiest one in F1 and I’ve done extremely well overall.”

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Issei Kato/Reuters

© Photograph: Issei Kato/Reuters

The B team? First XIs packed with players whose names begin with same letter | The Knowledge

2 avril 2025 à 09:00

Plus: a 972 score in Scrabble, the same stadium name across multiple grounds, and 48 league appearances in one season

  • Mail us with your questions and answers

“The other day in their Women’s Champions League match against Manchester City, Chelsea fielded a back four of Bronze, Bright, Björn and Baltimore,” emails Asad Butt. “Are there other examples of this in defence, midfield or attack?”

Back in 2017, we answered a question regarding men’s teams fielding three or more players with the same first name, with five Johns starting in an England XI against Switzerland in 1948: John Aston, John Haines, John Hancocks, John (‘Jack’) Rowley and John (‘Jackie’) Milburn all featuring. As mentioned by Asad, Chelsea fielded a back four beginning with the same surname letter against Manchester City earlier this month (plus Aggie Beever-Jones in the first leg). But we can do better than that.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Oli Scarff/AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: Oli Scarff/AFP/Getty Images

Sporting KC, coach Peter Vermes part ways after more than 15 seasons

31 mars 2025 à 17:43
  • Vermes had the world’s fourth-longest managerial tenure
  • KC failed to make playoffs in two of last three seasons

Sporting Kansas City and longtime coach Peter Vermes have mutually parted ways, the team announced on Monday.

Vermes, 58, was the longest-tenured skipper in MLS, having originally taken over as interim coach in 2009. He also owned the fourth-longest active managerial tenure in the world before his firing. His 15 year, seven month, 24 day tenure stands as the 38th-longest tenure by any soccer manager in the world since the second world war.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Kyle Rivas/Getty Images

© Photograph: Kyle Rivas/Getty Images

FA Cup quarter-finals and more: talking points from the weekend

31 mars 2025 à 09:06

Manchester City’s fire still burns bright, Marcus Rashford reminds critics of his ability and Eberechi Eze’s great week

A seventh semi-final in succession showed that Manchester City, at least, see magic in the FA Cup. The quarter-finals saw them cast as unwelcome outsiders, lacking the romance of their fellow hopefuls. None of the other seven had won a major trophy this century, four never in their history. Pep Guardiola’s frenzied reaction after Omar Marmoush scored his team’s second at Bournemouth showed his fire still burns brightly. Surely nearing the end at City, Kevin De Bruyne played the 90 minutes, remaining influential and mobile throughout. He and his teammates have played better this season but this display at the Vitality saw real gutsiness, a key part of the makeup during the glory years. If the hosts, shorn of Dean Huijsen and Milos Kerkez, were incapable of holding City’s hand to the fire as they had in November, a new City is emerging. Nico O’Reilly added impetus from the bench. So did Marmoush, both offering the pace, strength and vigour their manager now desires. John Brewin

Match report: Bournemouth 1-2 Manchester City

Match report: Preston 0-3 Aston Villa

Match report: Brighton 0-0 Nottm Forest (3-4 on pens)

Match report: Fulham 0-3 Crystal Palace

Continue reading...

© Composite: Guardian Picture Desk

© Composite: Guardian Picture Desk

RB Leipzig sack Marco Rose amid poor campaign in Bundesliga and Europe

30 mars 2025 à 12:47
  • Leipzig sixth in table after early Champions League exit
  • Zsolt Low appointed on interim basis until end of season

RB Leipzig have confirmed the sacking of their manager, Marco Rose, amid a disappointing season in the Bundesliga and in Europe.

“Marco Rose has been relieved of his duties as RB Leipzig head coach with immediate effect,” said a club statement. Later on Sunday, Zsolt Low was announced as Rose’s interim replacement until the end of the season.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Lars Baron/Getty Images

© Photograph: Lars Baron/Getty Images

Mikaela Mayer targets Lauren Price showdown after winning Ryan rematch

30 mars 2025 à 10:33
  • Mayer beats bitter rival Sandy Ryan in points decision
  • WBO champion plans to ‘go for undisputed’ against Price

Mikaela Mayer retained her WBO world welterweight title in Las Vegas, beating Britain’s Sandy Ryan by unanimous decision to settle their bitter rivalry.

The American overcame a cut above the eye and Ryan’s rally in the later rounds, winning with judges’ scores of 97-93, 97-93 and 98-92. After her victory, Mayer targeted a title unification bout with another Briton, Lauren Price.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Steve Marcus/Getty Images

© Photograph: Steve Marcus/Getty Images

❌